A Timeline of Moseley School
Based on Moseley Into The Millennium ~ The Story of Moseley School by Celia Gaskin, Meriel Vlaeminke and Katharine Gaskin
1838 Spring Hill College opens in the former home of Mrs Sarah Glover and her sister for the training of Nonconformist ministers.
1842 The Trust purchases land at Moseley Wake Green for the building of a new college. The design of Joseph James is chosen.
1857 Spring Hill College opens its doors.
1870 An Act of Parliament sets up School Boards.
1886 Spring Hill College moves to Oxford and becomes known as Mansfield College.
1892 William Ross buys the Spring Hill site and buildings, and develops it as the Pine Dell Hydropathic Establishment and Moseley Botanical Gardens.
1900 Pine Dell closes. The Ross family continues to live there.
1900 Yardley School Board opens College Road Board School.
1902 School Boards are abolished. Worcestershire County Council takes over the management of College Road.
1911 Yardley is incorporated into the Borough of Birmingham. Control of College Road School passes to Birmingham.
WORLD WAR I
1914 Spring Hill is requisitioned as a military barracks for training the 3rd Birmingham City Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
1917 The Sisters of Nazareth briefly occupy the college as a children’s home, relocating from Northfield to Moseley in 1917, where they stayed until 1920.
1921 The buildings are used for a special teacher training course for partially disabled ex-servicemen, under the name Springfield College.
1923 Birmingham Education Authority acquires Spring Hill College for conversion to a secondary school. Mr E. H. Robinson is appointed Headmaster of the new Moseley Secondary School.
1924 The East Wing is adapted as a gymnasium.
1927 New specialist rooms are built at College Road to provide facilities for older pupils.
1927 A new Science wing is built at Moseley adjoining the East Wing.
1934 College Road School is reorganised as Infants, junior mixed and senior mixed.
1939 Moseley Secondary School is renamed Moseley Grammar School.
1939 Over half of Moseley's pupils are evacuated to Cheltenham. College Road pupils are also evacuated. Both groups return after a few months.
1940 Moseley is damaged by bombs and the boys evacuated to Kidderminster. College Road also suffers bomb damage and the children are evacuated to Loughborough.
1942 Both schools reopen but with fewer pupils.
1944 The Butler Education Act paves the way for the introduction of Grammar, Technical and Secondary Modern Schools.
1950 The war memorial is unveiled at Moseley Grammar School.
1953 The first group of children sits the 11-plus examination.
1954 A new block containing Art and Technical rooms and a dining hall is added at Moseley Grammar School.
1955 Moseley Modern Mixed School opens under Headteacher Miss E. Cohen.
1956 Mr D. B. Gaskin is appointed to the Headship of Moseley Grammar School.
1965 Moseley Grammar School finishes building its pavilion.
1967 Mr D. Wilford is appointed to succeed Miss Cohen (now Mrs North).
1968 Moseley Grammar School acquires the 'school cottage' in Wales.
1972 Moseley Grammar School is listed as a building of Special Architectural and Historical Interest.
1973 Mr D. G. Moore is appointed Acting Head of Moseley Grammar School.
1974 Moseley Modern School takes possession of its much-needed extension.
1974 The amalgamation of Moseley Grammar School and Moseley Modern School finally goes ahead. Mr A Goodfellow is appointed as Head of the new Moseley School.
1982 Mr Goodfellow dies following a series of heart attacks. Mr D.M. Swinfen succeeds him.
1984 Problems are discovered in the condition of the original Victorian building, known as Spring Hill College and Moseley School’s West Wing.
1986 A major part of West Wing, including the Library, is closed on grounds of safety.
1987 Birmingham Education Committee announces proposals to demolish the building. These are quickly withdrawn in the face of public opposition. The school begins trying to raise funds for repair work.
1992 Mrs M. Miles is appointed to succeed Mr Swinfen whose health has broken down.
1995 The Moseleians Association is reformed.
1996 Moseley School becomes first in Birmingham to receive the Government’s Charter Mark.
1996 The school wins Lottery funding for a new Health and Fitness Centre to be shared with the community.
1996 The Heritage Lottery Fund and the European Regional Development Fund jointly agree to fund the complete restoration of West Wing and the development of Spring Hill Sixth Form College. Work starts immediately.
1998 The Victorian building, gloriously restored and in newly landscaped grounds, finally comes back into use, for post-16 education and community use.
2001 Mr D. Peck is appointed to succeed Mrs M. Miles on her retirement.
2007 Moseley School and The Moseleians Association celebrate the 150th anniversary of Spring Hill College with a full weekend festival including live music and an evening proms concert on a specially erected outdoor stage, 5km fun run and many other attractions.
2008 Mr T Boyes is appointed interim headteacher to succeed Mr D Peck. Mr Boyes also remains head of Queensbridge School.
2011 Mr C Jansen is appointed headteacher of Moseley School.
2013 an £18m building and renovation programme is completed. New school buildings are opened and the 1950′s College Road (former Moseley Modern School) buildings are demolished.
2014 School cottage near Abergavenny in Wales is sold.
2015 Mr R. McBrien is appointed headteacher of Moseley School.
2018 New school reception building on Wake Green Road is opened.